A high standard was set by the Founder, Editor and Publisher of Standup Journal, Clay Feeter and his team. They created the tribe, the culture, the stoke and stories that connected us from the “baby step” days of our sport to what it and we have become today. I love endless numbers of things about that publication.
But this article celebrates Evelyn O’Doherty’s bold move to the helm of Standup Journal after spending time refining and polishing the resource that is Standup Journal online. Along with Associate Publisher, Russ Scully, and Creative Director, Jeff Henderson a team of deep talent has been created – and all for our benefit.
10 Things I Love!
- Evelyn O’Doherty was groomed by and seeks to honor the work of the original team: Clay Feeter, Joyce Bilodeau, Adam Champagne and Scott Stahley.
- I live 4 hours from the nearest ocean to the west and many thousands of miles to the east – and I am an ocean-loving, SUP surfing maniac. With this first issue, our favorite mag is re-named as “A Water Lovers Magazine.” YES! I love the water in all its forms – ocean, lakes, rivers, bays, streams and so on. Adventures on almost all the planet’s waters have always graced the pages of Standup Journal – and now that commitment is even more pronounced.
- Bring me to the water when the snow flies and I am high desert land-locked. I love the layout, the images (as always) and the commitment to all of us water people often starved for a great story fix and some virtual waves, paddles and soaring.
- The planet is a crucial part of our water-person celebration. As the mission statement shares about this planet’s sacred water, “We live by it, we play in it and we love it.”
- A great mix of the serenity of water sports – and wild adventures both local and exotic.
- The intention of the people sharing their stories is important to Standup Journal. Stories are designed to do more than make us drool with envy, aspire to hone or technique or add to our quiver; they are also designed to motivate us toward who we truly are in our water-loving souls.
- As the author of THE QUEST FOR BLUE PLANET SUPER HEROES, I am committed to inspire the next generation of water stewards with a love of the ocean (and all our planet’s water). Events that celebrate the Earth, the environment and the water, land and air can be found within the pages. We can commit and connect at events around the country, around the globe.
- Solutions and hope. When so much seems to threaten our planet it was great to see a 2-page spread showcasing, wait for it, meal worms! Right! Who knew that meal worms can digest and biodegrade styrofoam and other sorts of polystyrene.
- White space and easy to read text. Yup, older eyes are grateful. ‘Nuf said.
- And last but not least, I love that I can still look forward to receiving Standup Journal in my mailbox 4 times a year. The stack of past issues in my collection is large and now I can clear off a bit more shelf space and let it continue to grow.